30 March 2010
Frederic Leighton PPRA (1830–1896) was the only person ever to live in the house that he created in Holland Park Road. The house was built to original designs by George Aitchison in the late 1860s, but it continued to evolve and grow throughout the thirty years that Leighton was in residence. At the time of his death in 1896, his ‘Private Palace of Art’ was one of the most extraordinary houses in London, not only for its architectural and decorative character, but also for the range and quality of the art collections that filled it. Following an extensive £1.3 million restoration programme, the house reopens to reveal interiors and fabric that are closer than ever to Leighton’s original vision and offer a faithful insight into his life and times.
11am–1pm; 12 Holland Park Road, W14; SOLD OUT