Educational Resources for Earth: Art of a changing world
Earth: Art of a changing world brings together the work of over thirty leading contemporary artists in order to show how art can help us to explore and debate the issues surrounding climate change. Many works in the exhibition highlight both the beauty and fragility of the natural world, leading us to think about our own impact on the environment. As the title of the exhibition suggests, our planet is already experiencing change and the exhibition also invites us to consider the cultural as well as environmental consequences of rising temperatures.
The Royal Academy of Arts Education Department has been involved in the planning and bringing together of this exhibition from its outset, and views it as an excellent opportunity to get schools and students involved with one of the most important issues of today. On these pages you will find carefully selected information about how artists are addressing climate change, and more general websites aimed to help young people and schools get involved with the related debates. We hope that students will in turn think about how they might find their own means of interpreting and communicating such global issues.
Things to think about
- In what ways can artists help us to explore the complexities of climate change?
- How do artists have the potential to bring a personal and human perspective to this topic?
- Do artists working with the theme of climate change have a responsibility to use environmentally friendly materials and methods? Why or why not?
- What are the benefits of artists and scientists working together?
- Do today’s artists have a moral duty to engage with, or at least acknowledge, important contemporary issues such as climate change? Why or why not?
- Why is it important to have artists from different cultural backgrounds working together on global issues such as climate change?
- Can works of art dealing with disaster and destruction still be considered beautiful?
- If you were to make a work of art exploring the theme of climate change, which issues would you most like to raise?
To download these questions in PDF format
please click here (24 KB)
An Art Detectives guide has been specially created for younger visitors to use when visiting the exhibition. Pick up your free copy when you visit or
download the Art Detectives here. (320 KB)